Monday, July 6, 2009

Freedoms

This is what Gracie wore on the 4th of July. The dress just happens to be red, white and blue though. There is no American flag print. She's worn it a few times before today and will wear it again. I think. Maybe.

The last time she wore it though, something funny happened. We were walking out of daycare and two women who are part of the cafeteria facilities staff happened to be walking by too. It is quite common for folks to stop and ogle the children during the day, so the fact that they noticed Grace and threw isn't she beautiful comments my way didn't phase me.

It was what came after. One of the women, dressed in a black tube top and two pounds of makeup said, "Look at that dress. Isn't she sexy!"

I stopped dead in my tracks and pulled Gracie protectively up into my arms. I was so shocked, that I didn't say anything. They kept walking and were out of sight a few moments later.

Sexy? Sexy!? What did that lady just say? Sexy! Oh. My. God. She just called my baby SEXY! Am I a bad mother? Is this dress too revealing? I don't think so, but I guess it does have a thin strap. It is in no way low cut and falls well below her knee though. Sexy? Sexy!??

And so she wore this dress again on the 4th of July. It may be the last time. I need to see if I can get hearing someone call Grace sexy at 20 months old off repeat in my head in the comfort of my own home.

Freedom of Speech. Huh, I'm not so sure I am support of that right now. The lady just yelled 'Fire' in my movie theater.
What do you think? Because I keep going back to the fact that I find this dress adorable.

1 comment:

Kelly O said...

Um, yeah, majorly poor choice of words. The dress is adorable.