Monday, May 18, 2009

Weekend Warrior

February 2007.

It it seems like so long ago, and really for all Matt's effort it was.

Sunday was the start of Matt's 2009 triathlon season. It still makes me giggle a little, the phrase "triathlon season" but I guess it isn't a joke anymore. It never really was for him, but now - now - these triathlons have turned into serious business.

I couldn't be more proud of him. His determination. His perseverance.

His professionalism. ------ (There had been talk of dying his hair the same color as the swim cap to keep the florescent look throughout the race.)


All of his training for bigger and better triathlons left him with a lot of wiggle room during this one.

Of course he was tired.

A 1.5K swim (about 0.9 miles), 40K bike ride (25.5 miles) and 10K run (6.2 miles) will do that to you. He pushed through through the rain and wind - but - he also admitted later that he knew he was doing really well during the run and was tempted to slack off a little.

He didn't.

He powered through and still ran 9 minute miles with energy to spare at the finish line. He shaved 45 minutes off his time from last year. I guess shave isn't the right word. Amputate seems much more appropriate. He chopped it off.

Again, I am so proud. I know how hard he's worked for this. Sure, having spent a little extra money on nicer gear helps, but it isn't anywhere near the top of the line products, and he still has to push through himself. The nice bike doesn't get up to do a 5 am swim, a 12 pm run and a 3 pm bike for him.

It was a winning event for me too.

I found easy in and out parking. I changed a diaper on the ground and in a slight drizzle with little damage. I only ALMOST sent Grace careening down a slick hill into a pit of weeds. (ALMOST, reflexes like a cat.) With Jen's enduring friendship (because it does take a great friend to get up at 5:30 am on the weekend to sit outside in 50 degree rain with you) I / we were able to entertain Grace for 3 hours.

This is the beginning of what I know will be a great summer.

No comments: