Friday, May 22, 2009

They Say It's Your Birthday...

Traditionally, yellow roses are representative of friendship, joy and well wishes. I guess dad got the joy right, because in our family, yellow roses are birthday roses.

My father is not one for flowers or presents in general, for that matter. As far back as I can remember, either I bought gifts for him to give to my mom, he gave her a horrible one he picked out himself (ehem - can you say roadside emergency kit?) or he just doesn't buy her anything at all. I am 100 precent sure he has never bought a single gift for me himself.

Except for one.

When I was born though, he came to the hospital with roses. As mom tells the story, two dozen perfect yellow roses. One for me and one for her. I have an affinity for yellow roses. In my mind, yellow symbolizes love a million times more than boring old red roses.

Today, a rose bloomed in my back yard.

No comments: