Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Hugs for Everyone

Grace will be 9 months old this weekend. She is a stage where everyday there is a new development and discovery. It is amazing to watch the look of accomplishment on her face when she scoots her butt across the floor to grab a toy. It is amazing to watch the look of amusement on her face while playing games with her. It is amazing to watch her motor skills and comprehension of language develop.

My favorite development has been her understand and response to the word "hug." Matt and I can spend all day saying, "Gracie, I need a hug." In response to this simple request, she now leans forward with her arms open and puts her head on your shoulder. It doesn't matter if it is the first request of the day or the 100th, it is so endearing my heart swells each time.

My favorite hug, and definitely my favorite memory thus far, was on my 1st Mother's Day.

That night, in the moments between when she finished nursing and being snuggled into her crib, she gave me the best gift I would ever imagine. She grabbed my cheeks with both hands, looked directly into my eyes and pressed her nose against mine. She then put her forehead against my nose so her eyelashes brushed against my lips and fell asleep in my arms. I sat perfectly still, tears of joy running down my cheeks, trying to hold onto the moment for as long as I could.

While I am overjoyed at her new ability to give hugs on command, this was the first hug from Grace.

No comments: