Thursday, March 8, 2012

GPS (less)

I'm solidly suburban, born and raised. OK, technically I was born in Chicago, but the residence only lasted until my hospital release. SUV's with GPS devices are my friend.

Don't get me wrong, I love cities. The crazy fast pace of city walkers is right up my alley. Gloriously tall buildings pressing against the sky encourage me to stand taller in greeting. Restaurants with Michelin ratings sing to my heart. One of the best moments of my life? Being mistaken for a New Yorker by a city native.

BUT

I have absolutely NO internal sense of direction. (Hence my love of GPS.) I pour over street maps before exiting buildings, praying I turn the right direction. The District is my foe in this respect. Straight lines, I need straight lines please!

And, apparently, my confusion isn't limited to street level. Today, *sigh*, I went the wrong way on the Metro. For 3 stops. The only plus to that ride is that the parking lot attendant must have seen the defeated look on my face and comped my $4.25 lot fee. I was ecstatic to be back in the suburbs.

1 comment:

Matt said...

Mr. L'Enfant is spinning in his grave across the Potomac right now.