Friday, August 7, 2009

Sweet Home Chicago

Growing up, watching The Blues Brothers was like breathing air. It's something you just did without thought. It was on at least once a month on WGN, and it was the 1980's so there wasn't much else on given that we were forbidden to watch practally EVERY sitcome on TV during that time.

I always find it annoyingly amusing that the male persuasion tend to trade movie lines when intelligent conversation fails them. Very rarely do I have any idea what is being quoted, but I do speak Blues Brothers with little trouble.


Tonight, Encore showed the move sans comercial breaks and main stream editing. Honestly, I think that was the first time I have ever seen the movie uncut. More memorable though, it was the first time Gracie has ever watched any portion of the movie. And really, you don't just WATCH the Blues Brothers, you live the Blues Brothers, you DANCE the Blues Brothers.

So there we were, Gracie and I, all snuggled up on the couch and the James Brown preaching in the church scene came up. Maybe I started to wiggle first, but I like to tell myself that she reacted to the music all on her own. As the furvor and flips esclated on the television, so did her worm like shimmy in my arms all while working on her sippy cup of orange juice.

Suddenly, with the same intenisty as Elwood Blues, aka Dan Ackeroid, she jumped off the couch, flung her juice and did the same foot stomping frantic dance. It was AWESOME.

It is one of the first times that I've wanted one of my childhood reference points to be deeply intrenched into hers too.

No comments: