Monday, December 22, 2008

The Q of P

Now that our family has rejoined the living, (yeah that’s right, both Matt and I came down with Gracie’s flu Thursday night) there is so much to do. So much time to be made up for.

When I feel overwhelmed with things that need to be done though, I turn into a slacker college student.

In college, I was the Queen of Procrastination. I always got things done. I usually got good grades. I graduated with a solid B average, which is more than good enough to propel me in my current career. Oh, I was a slacker though.

When finals or major papers/projects rolled around, I took naps. Usually right up to a day or two before. Then I blow everything off to slap something together or bribe someone else into helping me/doing it for me.

That is one reason why Matt and I became such fast friends in college. He was smart enough to craft papers on subjects that he knew nothing about, with only a few books, frozen pizza and a case of beer. The case of beer was the bribe payment. Back in those days a case of Miller Light was gold.

-Anyway-

The holidays are barreling towards me and I just want to take a nap.

I still have one more present to buy Matt, but I have no idea when I will find the time to do it in the next two days.

I have so much cleaning to do, but I have no idea how I will get it done before my brother arrives on Wednesday.

I have to go to the grocery store to finish buying everything I need for our Christmas meals, but I am too mentally tired to really think about what ingredients I need.

I just want to take a nap.

After Christmas, New Years will be here way too quickly along with another train of visitors.

That’s the thing about all this though.....

I welcome the New Year. I rejoice in the idea of family coming to visit. I am excited about the next barrage of parties and events.

But there is so much to do. I just want to take a nap.

I put these pressures on myself.

I am sane enough to realize that I have self-inflicted crazies. I am sane enough to realize that I cannot collect every loose dog hair in my house and that nobody expects Martha Stewart when they walk into our home. But I am crazy enough to inflict those standards on myself.

In the end though, I will fall back into my college ways and I will just take a nap or lay on the couch. I’ll shove all the dirt under the rug and buy pre-made frozen snacks. I know I will. That won’t stop me from obsessing about ways to not do that until the event has come and gone.

Maybe I should stock up on Miller Light. Naw, not anymore. A good Port might be my answer though.

No comments: